[od-discuss] v2.0 release

Aaron Wolf wolftune at gmail.com
Tue Aug 5 20:58:46 UTC 2014

> On 05/08/14 10:35 AM, Aaron Wolf wrote:
> >
> > but, the addition of "access" as a value for the OD (which I also
> > support) means that it isn't synonymous with these other things.
> > The other Free / Libre / Open Source terms do not specify anything
> > about the resources being accessible.
>
> A lot of "Open Access" work is NC/nonfree.

Indeed, but that doesn't mean access isn't an issue. The problem with the
NC  (or ND) Open Access isn't the "Access" part, it's the lack of other FLO
allowances.

> And (to deliberately misunderstand the idea of "access" ;-) ) licenses
> that require publication are nonfree.

For reference, the Watcom license that requires publication is approved by
OSI but not by FSF. Importantly, our Open Definition doesn't take a clear
position on this. It appears that the only thing clarifying about mandatory
publication of derivatives is whether that is blocked by allowing "free
use."

I think we should consider whether required publication fits the Open
Definition or not. If not, we must add "not require" to the clause about
allowing publication.

> So I agree that access isn't synonymous.

Perhaps we should say "largely synonymous" or "similar"