[od-discuss] Open Definition Telecon 15:00 UTC Thursday 2014-08-14

Daniel Dietrich daniel.dietrich at okfn.org
Sun Aug 24 16:58:23 UTC 2014

Hi Rufus, all,

the major difference of the German Data license compared to other licenses is that it is based on “German Public Law” rather than “German Private Law”, see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_of_Germany

This means that it the “license” is actually more a “dedication”, much the way a government dedicates the use of roads to the public. From my understanding intellectual property legislation is based in private law in most judiciaries. However I have not enough legal expertise to fully understand possible consequences.

I have personally invested a lot of time to convince the German government to use a well established open license (such as CC-0 or CC-BY) rather than creating a national license for well known reasons of license proliferation. I was not successful, however. The main reason for the creation of the national license is the perception that a national license has a bigger chance to be widely accepted by government bodies here in Germany.

So in a nutshell my view on the strengths and weaknesses are:

a. it was not a good idea in the first place to create the license
b. it is intended to be a permissive open license
c. its very light wight and short
d. we don’t fully understand the consequences of the fact that the license is based on “German Public Law” rather than “German Private Law”

I hope this helps. Again: how can we move this process forward?

All the best
Daniel