[od-discuss] Restriction of redistribution under OD 2.0

Herb Lainchbury herb at dynamic-solutions.com
Wed Dec 10 04:42:05 UTC 2014

This clause of the open definition permits licenses to have a certain type
of exception and still be considered open.  For example:

My Open Data License
==================
Permissions:
 * you may use this work for any purpose
Exceptions:
 * you cannot apply DRM to any redistributed works

Herb

On Tue, Dec 9, 2014 at 8:25 PM, Tomoaki Watanabe <tomoaki.watanabe at gmail.com
> wrote:

> Hi. I am a bit confused, and therefore curious as to
> what others have to say on this. (And I am not a part of the authority).
>
> >>2.2.6 Technical Restriction Prohibition
> >>The license may prohibit distribution of the work in a manner where
> technical measures impose restrictions on the exercise of otherwise allowed
> rights.
>
> Shouldn't this be saying, instead, as follows?
>
> >>2.2.6 Technical Restriction Prohibition
> >>The license may prohibit distribution of the work in a manner where
> technical measures impose *NO* restrictions on the exercise of otherwise
> allowed rights.
>
> Tomo
>  OKJapan/ CCJP/ GLOCOM
>
> On Wed, Dec 10, 2014 at 1:13 PM, Peter Murray-Rust <pm286 at cam.ac.uk>
> wrote:
> > I have just seen the following correspondence
> >
> http://svpow.com/2014/12/09/on-readcube-and-natures-give-away/#comment-97669
> > which concludes
> >
> > Well, that is ridiculous. Then the Open Definition v2.0 is useless.
> > Completely useless.
> >
> > Was v1.0 the same?
> >
> > and rather than reply to it myself I thought that I would get an
> > authoritative opinion.
> >
> > [Background - the context is Nature's new effort in bringing out DRM'ed
> (or
> > TPM'ed) scientific publications. The actual materialt is not Open, so
> that's
> > not the point - it is that knowlegeable people can interpret OD as
> allowing
> > DRM.
> >

> > --
> > Peter Murray-Rust