[od-discuss] Montreal will have the open license CC BY 4. A first in the Canada open data : An advantage for citizens.

Mike Linksvayer ml at gondwanaland.com
Thu Feb 20 17:56:38 UTC 2014

On Thu, Feb 20, 2014 at 5:44 AM, Diane Mercier <diane.mercier at gmail.com>wrote:

> Montreal is the first city in Quebec using open data and perspective
> make the metropolis always smarter and learning, the Mayor of
> Montreal, Mr. Denis Coderre, is proud to announce that the city of
> Montreal wishes to adopt Creative Commons CC BY 4 international open
> licence.
>
> The metropolis, as well as the cities of Québec, Gatineau and
> Sherbrooke and the Government of Quebec, which also suit, will
> consolidate their data licence.
>

> http://donnees.ville.montreal.qc.ca/un-avantage-pour-les-citoyens-montreal-disposera-de-la-licence-ouverte-cc-4-une-premiere-au-canada-en-matieres-de-donnees-ouvertes/

That's great news! Will the English speaking provinces and their
municipalities catch up? Or surpass by adopting CC0. :)

Autotranslation pasted below.

Mike

A benefit for citizens: Montreal will have CC 4 open license. A first in
Canada in matters of open data.

February 19, 2014

[image: CC4] <http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/deed.fr_CA>

Montreal is the largest city in Quebec who used open data and the prospect
of making the city an increasingly intelligent and learning city, the mayor
of Montreal, Mr. Denis Coderre, is proud to announce that the City of
Montreal wishes adopt the open CC 4 International Creative Commons
license<http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/deed.fr_CA>
 ( legal version in
English<http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/legalcode%22>
 , French legal version for
review<http://wiki.creativecommons.org/CC_BY_SA_4.0_Francais_-_Draft#Section_1_.E2.80.93_D.C3.A9finitions>
 ).

The metropolis, as well as the cities of
Québec<http://www.ville.quebec.qc.ca/actualites/fiche_autres_actualites.aspx?id=13362>
 , Gatineau <http://www.gatineau.ca/donneesouvertes/> and
Sherbrooke<http://donnees.ville.sherbrooke.qc.ca/accueil.html>
 and Quebec government <http://donnees.gouv.qc.ca/?node=/accueil> , which
also followed suit, unify their open data license with the aim of
facilitating the sharing of data according to common standards. This joint
application of standards from four cities and the Government of Quebec is a
first in Canada and is part of a global trend to harmonize processes for
release of government data. It is a tour de force that will boost trade
between the City and Montreal and government together.

"I am hopeful that the adoption by our cities a common license to use open
data increase opportunities for collaboration and open the door to even
further exploitation of this valuable data, which are the basis of concept
of smart city. Moreover, the Office of Smart Digital City and that we give
up a prominent place open data not only to promote transparency, but also
because these data will help develop desired by the citizens' applications,
said the mayor of Montreal.

*Why open municipal data?*
open data movement seeks to promote knowledge and innovation through
information sharing and multi-sectoral collaboration. Can be applied to
many sectors, opening data generates benefits both in economic, cultural
and social spheres. Sharing this wealth of information helps create a
synergy that stimulates the proliferation of ideas, entrepreneurship and
innovation.Information and knowledge held by citizens and communities
across Montreal enrich significantly the institutional intellectual capital.

*CC license 4: credible, useful and beneficial to citizens*
Accession to the CC license by Montreal 4 is advantageous for citizens as
it will reduce the number of licenses to consider when reuse data from many
sources. This license is international and credible. It is recognized by
international organizations promoting open knowledge as the Open Knowledge
Foundation. 4 CC license also covers databases for reuse in databases civic
contribution as the OpenStreetMap <http://osm.org/copyright> . Another
advantage, there is no cost associated with the adoption of this
license. It is the result of individuals volunteer work and work
contributing organizations worldwide. Creative Commons has published the
fourth edition of the license 26 November 2013 and 8 January
2014<http://blog.okfn.org/2014/01/08/creative-commons-4-0-by-and-by-sa-licenses-approved-conformant-with-the-open-definition/>
,
the Open Knowledge Foundation recognized this version as conforming to the
definition of an open license.

*Workshops open to Montreal on February 22 data*
February 22, it will be the International Day of open
data<http://www.eventbrite.com/e/billets-journee-donnees-ouvertes-2014-10149775251>
. The
City has planned workshops <http://jodo2014.sparkboard.com/> on the subject
involving municipal employees and citizens in order to strengthen dialogue,
enhance mutual understanding, stimulate innovation and accelerate the
release of data by encouraging the mobilization and involvement of
participants .

Since 2011, when she released her first datasets ahead of all cities in
Quebec, Montreal has developed the Table de concertation open
data<http://donnees.ville.montreal.qc.ca/demarche/concertation/> and
has supported various activities on the subject, including two hackathons:
the Challenge GéoHack <http://defigeohackmtl.org/> and
ÉcoHackMTL<http://www.ecohackmtl.org/> ,
which were held in October 2013. City first put on the quality of released
data rather than quantity and table on the relationship of dialogue that
interview with citizens and employees. Note that corporate data release
plan is being prepared, together with all municipal departments and
boroughs. This plan will be submitted in the coming weeks.
Resuming press release of February 19,
2014<http://ville.montreal.qc.ca/portal/page?_pageid=5997,102503571&_dad=portal&_schema=PORTAL&id=22382&ret=/pls/portal/url/page/bur_du_maire_fr/rep_bur_du_maire/rep_communiques/coll_communiques>

Reference: Comparative table of user licenses in accordance with the
definition of free knowledge <http://opendefinition.org/licenses/>