[od-discuss] OD 2.0 edits, license approval process update, comments wanted

Mike Linksvayer ml at gondwanaland.com
Fri Jun 13 19:57:01 UTC 2014

Per the call yesterday, I made first draft addition of notice, source,
and anti-DRM acceptable conditions. Almost certainly could use
wordsmithing.

Also made some wordsmithing edits throughout.

Also attempted another acceptable condition to cover patent peace clauses.

Finally attempted to add licensor patent encumbrance to the no other
conditions section re open works. I think this especially was on the
"ideas to discuss" pile rather than agreed upon, but I think it's
easiest to discuss an edit...

Each change made with a distinct commit, feel free to comment or
revert any, see
https://github.com/okfn/opendefinition/commits/master/source/open-definition-dev.markdown

I also took a quick look at work access AND format openness, a concern
raised by Andrew Katz. I think both are covered (in the works section)
but I suspect could use a close reading and possibly another pull
request from Andrew.

We didn't have time to discuss on call, but I'd still like to discuss
as necessary and push ahead with an approval process update, deployed
either before or at the same time as OD 2.0, since we decided not to
address best practices such as compatibility in the definition itself.
Again my proposal, starting from copying markdown text of the
conformance process page and license recommendations before pulled
from OD2.0dev, to draft a new conformance page...

Result https://github.com/okfn/opendefinition/blob/13b8477dc45fa0db9bb37cf3e1daf45fabe1e90a/source/open-definition-approval-process.markdown
Diff https://github.com/okfn/opendefinition/commit/13b8477dc45fa0db9bb37cf3e1daf45fabe1e90a#diff-52fb719567fc3103278edfbe8f372674

Changes:
* Stress that all requested info must be provided
* Stress that for new licenses should be submitted before final
* Approval process will select a license category, in addition to
conformance/nonconformance
* Updated license categories with best (recommended) reflecting
license recommendations before pulled from OD2.0dev (this is the main
thing, and would result in some shifting categories for
alreadyapproved licenses, or some versions of them)