[od-discuss] OD 2.0 edits, license approval process update, comments wanted

Mike Linksvayer ml at gondwanaland.com
Tue Jun 17 20:15:39 UTC 2014

On 06/13/2014 03:00 PM, Rob Myers wrote:
> Mike Linksvayer:
>> Per the call yesterday, I made first draft addition of notice,
>> source, and anti-DRM acceptable conditions.
>
> "The **license** *may* prohibit distribution of licensed works
> with technical measures that restrict the exercise of required
> permissions."
>
> 1. Cool.

You are the kibo of license && DRM? ;-)

> 2. If this is intended to target only DRM, is it worth
> specifically using the phrase "Effective technological Measures"?

It is (tangentially this brings to mind source acceptable condition
should be broad enough to include "installation information"; GPLv3's
anti-tivoization provision isn't a technical restriction prohibition)
though maybe saying DRM would be more clear than the magic "effective
technological measures" phrase which surely many fewer people recognize.

> 3. I assume that the GPLv3 and CC 4.0's strategies are regarded as
> permissions rather than requirements.

Yes and the part of CC 4.0's strategy which parallel's GPLv3's.

> They could also be phrased as requirements:
>
> The **license** *may* require that technical measures applied to
> distributed licensed works be considered ineffective.
>
> The **license** *may* require a grant of permission to circumvent
> technical measures applied to licensed works for distribution.
>
> I think it's more useful to consider them permissions, but it may
> be worth including them as acceptable requirements if this would
> help provide clarity (probably combining them into a more general
> case).

I tend to think of them as permissions as well, but I wouldn't object
to adding those two sentences for clarity to the section.

Mike