[od-discuss] broader community notice in license approval/OD update process (was Re: Nominate Aaron Wolf for Open Definition Advisory Council membership)

Mike Linksvayer ml at gondwanaland.com
Sat Nov 15 22:08:08 UTC 2014

More than two weeks has past, with no -1s so clearly Aaron is now on
the council, congratulations. :)

I think what reminded me to nominate Aaron (though he's made many
other fine contributions) was his insistence that we do a better job
of notifying broader community about important OD-related
developments. I think the 2.0 release was on net very positive, and
brought out some scrutiny that maybe would not have occurred if we had
just asked people to look at a draft. But we should ask people to look
at drafts anyway, maybe they'll even look now that their interest is
expressed.

I suggest we formalize calling for broader community feedback, for
both license approvals and OD updates. Right now
opendefinition.org/licenses/process includes:

"After submission, the Open Definition community will discuss on the
mailing list and reach consensus. The Open Definition Advisory Council
chair will summarize the consensus to the Advisory Council on the
mailing list. If after two weeks at least two Advisory Council members
approve the consensus summary on-list, and at least 75% of Advisory
Council members expressing an opinion on the summary if any dissent,
the website will be updated, and announcements made to public and
submitter, as appropriate."

Formalization of broader community feedback might make it look like:

"1. After submission, the Open Definition community will discuss on
the mailing list and reach consensus.
2. The Open Definition Advisory Council chair will summarize the
consensus to the Advisory Council on the mailing list and to other
relevant fora, okfn-discss at a minimum.
3a. If over next two weeks issues are raised which indicate a
different consensus or further discussion needed, chair will step
process back to first or second step as appropriate.
3b. Otherwise, chair calls for formal approval of consensus by Advisory Council.
4. If after two weeks at least three Advisory Council members approve
the consensus summary on-list, and at least 75% of Advisory Council
members expressing an opinion on the summary if any dissent, the
website will be updated, and announcements made to public and
submitter, as appropriate.

This process will also apply to acceptance of new versions of the Open
Definition itself."

The obvious downside is more tedium and dragging out
approval/acceptance process by another two weeks. I think that's fine.
There's never any real rush to approve a license IMO, and if there is
a real rush the chair could call for something expedited. I think
license approvals as well as OD version acceptance should get a
broader community call because people on this list alone can't be
expected to understand all the pertinent background, other communities
are the primarily ones impacted, and it is a chance to remind everyone
about the OD.

Mike