[od-discuss] ISO Codes

Peter Murray-Rust pm286 at cam.ac.uk
Tue Nov 18 12:37:06 UTC 2014

I don't think you can assume that a set of codes is trivially-reusable,
especially where the codes are linked to other information. Two examples
are postcodes (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postal_code#Availability ),
where the Royal Mail UK has asserted ownership of Post Codes, and ACS
chemical identifiers (CAS) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CAS_Registry_Number
, and state:

The assigning agency, Chemical Abstracts Service (CAS)
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chemical_Abstracts_Service> is a division of
the American Chemical Society (ACS)
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Chemical_Society>; CAS information
is copyrighted by the ACS. Users wishing to incorporate CAS Registry
Numbers into databases should refer to CAS policy:

*A User or Organization may include, without a license and without paying a
fee, up to 10,000 CAS Registry Numbers or CASRNs in a catalog, web site, or
other product for which there is no charge. The following attribution
should be referenced or appear with the use of each CASRN: CAS Registry
Number is a Registered Trademark of the American Chemical Society.*

PMR: Identifiers are protectable by Trademarks and by Database rights (in
Europe). Note that postcodes and CAS identifiers are both continually
changing collections, while and iSO statement is frozen in time.

 <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CAS_Registry_Number#cite_note-6>

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CAS_Registry_Number#cite_note-6>

Peter Murray-Rust
Reader in Molecular Informatics