[od-discuss] Status of Vancouver and Surrey OGL varients

Paul Norman penorman at mac.com
Wed Nov 26 17:13:25 UTC 2014

On 11/26/2014 8:52 AM, Wrate, David GCPE:EX wrote:
> I ask only because the UK v3.0 has been deemed conformant and contains
> an FOI clause. Is there subtlety in the language of its clause that
> makes the difference?
The UK OGL clause is "Information that has not been accessed by way of
publication or disclosure under information access legislation
(including the Freedom of Information Acts for the UK and Scotland) by
or with the consent of the Information Provider;"

This is trivial to evaluate. If I get the data from a data catalog, it's
been published.

I understand the reason for this clause is that some UK authorities have
a policy that all information is under the OGL and they do not want to
license under it that was obtained without permission (e.g. a lost laptop).

The above also means that with those authorities if I FOI some data, I
can then use it under the OGL.

The OGL 3.0 is also explicitly compatible with CC BY 4.0 and ODC-By,
with the statement "this means that when the Information is adapted and
licensed under either of those licences, you automatically satisfy the
conditions of the OGL when you comply with the other licence." This
alone is probably enough for Open Definition compliance.