[od-discuss] Registration for accessing open datasets

Mike Linksvayer ml at gondwanaland.com
Sun Oct 19 19:42:40 UTC 2014

I don't feel strongly about any of this, but below reminds me of three
questions I have only considered idly:

(1) If an API key is available quickly and without discrimination, how does
it protect system resources? I guess it allows shutting down users who
don't intend to be malicious. I wonder when this is a strong use case, when
surely lower level protections against resource abuse are taken by any
serious API provider.

(2) OD 2.0 states that the "work shall be available as a whole"; IIRC other
statements about open data have emphasized bulk download. Where does this
place API access to individual records? The realtime case is interesting.
It seems for bulk download, the excuse for registration or keys is even
less compelling, but OTOH the application of "reasonable one-time
reproduction cost" a little more straightforward.

(3) We didn't take Karl Fogel's suggestion to address privacy in OD 2.0
(I'm not saying we should have; not sure appropriate and would've taken a
lot of work) but registration and API keys do remind me of this and of a
variant of the
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Debian_Free_Software_Guidelines#debian-legal_tests_for_DFSG_compliance
"dissident test" -- keys and registration allows evil provider to send
different data to dissidents, identifying them later when they communicate
the data in some fashion.

Mike