[od-discuss] OD conformant proposal: Open Government Licence v3.0

Paul Norman penorman at mac.com
Wed Oct 1 22:35:58 UTC 2014

On 9/26/2014 6:53 AM, Andrew Stott wrote:

> There is a risk that an “attribution statement” could be onerous – for
> instance by length – and the lack of a “practicality” exception could
> mean that some applications could not use the data because it was
> impossible to “include” the required attribution statement – for
> instance in a small embedded product.
>
> I would also be concerned if “attribution statements” are becoming
> more lengthy and complex – the Open Definition strictly allows only
> attribution, although we have generally tolerated small additions (for
> instance to show whether or not the data has been changed).

OpenStreetMap has encountered various data providers who believe that CC
BY 3.0 and earlier means that they must be attributed directly on the
map, regardless of map size or how much of their data is used. This is
onerous, as there are over 100 different data sources which would
require attributing, which would clearly not fit on a map.

For this reason, any attribution statement that must be shown at the
same time and can't be linked from a longer page listing all
attributions is onerous when dealing with a data source composed of many
other data sources, such as frequently arises in a crowd-sourced
project. The contribution of the data source to what is being shown has
to be taken into account.