[od-discuss] CC BY conformance

Paul Norman penorman at mac.com
Wed Oct 8 03:59:23 UTC 2014

http://opendefinition.org/licenses/ states that recommended
attribution-only conformant licenses must be compatible with GPL-3.0+,
CC BY-SA 4.0 and ODbL 1.0. Listed among the attribution-only licenses is
CC BY 4.0. Is the OKFN then taking the view that CC BY 4.0 is compatible
with the ODbL, with particular regards to attribution terms and to moral
rights?

If so, would it be possible to see any legal advice given on the matter?
This can be in private with the OSMF License Working Group if necessary.
Over at OpenStreetMap we've not come to an answer yet on if we regard CC
BY 4.0 as compatible. CC BY 3.0 and earlier were easier - the
attribution terms were clearly incompatible, and onerous for a
crowd-sourced project integrating many data sources.

Thanks,

Paul Norman