[od-discuss] OD v2 accepts Excel as OpenData?!???

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Tue Oct 7 16:42:25 UTC 2014

On 7 October 2014 15:14, Benjamin Ooghe-Tabanou <b.ooghe at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello there,
>
> I feel guilty for not having taken the time earlier to participate in
> the drafting process but I was assuming the principles of the old v1
> and the 10 principles would always keep in line. Although, I believe
> it could have been nice before releasing anything to send the final
> draft to the various okfn mailing-lists.
>
> Although, just reading the first part of the v2, I'm really alarmed by
> point 1.3 on the formats. The sentence ends with: open format OR "at
> the very least, can be processed with at least one
> free/libre/open-source software tool"
>
> So basically, since you can open it within LibreOffice, data in excel
> formats will be considered as Open according to the OpenDefinition v2!

Assuming that it is also: machine-readable, bulk and openly licensed, then
yes I think that is the current reading.

> This is a real step backwards which sounds really in total
> disagreement with everything that we all stand for and have been
> fighting for in the past few years, whether during the re-PSI debates
> at the EU Parliament or in our respective countries.

First off, let me say that I'm, personally, a very strong supporter of open
formats.

The question here is:

- What should the Open Definition be setting as the standard - e.g. if
people can access data with free/open/libre tools and the data is
machine-readable, bulk and openly licensed is that enough (for example,
that would mean that anyone could immediately turn that data in a
proprietary form into an open form)
- Is the push for open (document) standards related to but separate from
the open definition?
- Is the definition of the open format really that clear (and does it
really get enforced - e.g. there's a lot of "excel" open data out there
from gov). Will it require us to provide a list of approved open formats?
(If so can we do that?)

I should say my inclination now that this is highlighted - and I confess I
somewhat passed over this during review - is that we should remove the "or"
option but I'm trying to highlight reasons to think carefully.

> In such condition, I personnally (and I guess Regards Citoyens as
> well) won't be able to use the OD as a reference anymore or only the
> v1, and probably get back to the good old 10 principles.
>
> I must say I really do not understand how such a piece of sentence
> could have appear there, it really looks a lot alike Microsoft's
> amendments when the EU Parliament was defining machine readable and
> reusable. I can only imagine this was a way to include all those
> official datasets published on national catalogs in Excel, but if such
> I believe we really do not want these to be considered as OpenData.

That's good to make clear.

> They are to the contrary our best advocacy examples to point to
> governments and make them understand why they have to switch from
> formatted spreadsheet to actual data as csv. Including them in the
> standards won't help anyone!

I think the point had been to try to capture the spirit was that people
should have freedom to access and the existence of a free/libre/open tool
should allow that.

> I can only hope this can still be changed and will be towards a
> v2.0.1. Hope I'm not the only one!

Thanks for raising this important point and let's discuss this and revise
if appropriate and agreed :-)

Rufus

> [...]
> > the growing open data and open content communities. It acts as the ‘gold
> > standard’ for open data and content guaranteeing quality and preventing
> > incompatibility. As a standard, the Open Definition plays a key role in
> > underpinning the ‘open knowledge economy’ with a potential value that
> runs
> > into the hundreds of billions - or even trillions - worldwide.’
> >

> > What’s New
> >
> > In process for more than a year, the new version was collaboratively and
> > openly developed with input from experts involved in open access, open
> > culture, open data, open education, open government, open source and wiki
> > communities. The new version of the definition:
> >

> > Has a complete rewrite of the core principles - preserving their meaning
> but
> > using simpler language and clarifying key aspects.
> >
> > Introduces a clear separation of the definition of an open license from
> an
> > open work (with the latter depending on the former). This not only
> > simplifies the conceptual structure but provides a proper definition of
> open
> > license and makes it easier to “self-assess” licenses for conformance
> with
> > the Open Definition.
> >
> > The definition of an Open Work within the Open Definition is now a set of
> > three key principles:
> >
> > Open License: The work must be available under an open license (as
> defined
> > in the following section but this includes freedom to use, build on,
> modify
> > and share).
> >
> > Access: The work shall be available as a whole and at no more than a
> > reasonable one-time reproduction cost, preferably downloadable via the
> > Internet without charge
> >
> > Open Format: The work must be provided in a convenient and modifiable
> form
> > such that there are no unnecessary technological obstacles to the
> > performance of the licensed rights. Specifically, data should be
> > machine-readable, available in bulk, and provided in an open format or,
> at
> > the very least, can be processed with at least one free/libre/open-source
> > software tool.
> >
> > Includes improved license approval process to make it easier for license
> > creators to check conformance of their license with the Open Definition
> and
> > to encourage reuse of existing open licenses (rrareuse and outlines the
> > process for submitting a license so that it can be checked for
> conformance
> > against the Open Definition.
> >

> > More Information
> >
> > For more information about the Open Definition including the updated
> version
> > visit: http://opendefinition.org/
> >
> > For background on why the Open Definition matters, read the recent

*Rufus PollockFounder and President | skype: rufuspollock | @rufuspollock
<https://twitter.com/rufuspollock>Open Knowledge <http://okfn.org/> - see
how data can change the world**http://okfn.org/ <http://okfn.org/> | @okfn
<http://twitter.com/OKFN> | Open Knowledge on Facebook
<https://www.facebook.com/OKFNetwork> |  Blog <http://blog.okfn.org/>*

The Open Knowledge Foundation is a not-for-profit organisation.  It is
incorporated in England & Wales as a company limited by guarantee, with
company number 05133759.  VAT Registration № GB 984404989. Registered
office address: Open Knowledge Foundation, St John’s Innovation Centre,
Cowley Road, Cambridge, CB4 0WS, UK.