[od-discuss] OD v2 accepts Excel as OpenData?!???

Aaron Wolf wolftune at gmail.com
Wed Oct 8 19:08:18 UTC 2014

Andrew,

I agree that the issue is relevant. However, if I can in actual practice
open the Excel file in LibreOffice and do everything I need to do, then I
do actually have all the freedoms I need, essentially, even if the
situation is not ideal. So, *if* data is held in a format I actually cannot
use in practice, then it frustrates my freedoms. Hence, the wording in OD
v2 does do the minimum to ensure that openness is functional.

Anyway, "open access" is not the pinnacle issue. Access alone doesn't imply
freedoms of use, modification, and sharing. So the other values are *not*
just in service of "open access".

Cheers

--
Aaron Wolf