[od-discuss] Concerns about CC0 and Open Definition conformance

Mike Linksvayer ml at gondwanaland.com
Sat Oct 11 20:43:25 UTC 2014

Gisle has been bringing it to the attention of CC for a long time, but see
http://lists.ibiblio.org/pipermail/cc-community/2014-October/008866.html
for recent thread.

If I understand what Gisle has posted before correctly, performances of
sound recordings not subject to copyright are subject to a levy, per
http://www.kopinor.no/en/copyright/copyright-act "For public performance of
sound fixations that are not protected under the copyright act, the Act No.
4 of 14 December 1956 relating to a levy on the public performance of
performing artists’ performances, etc. applies." From an OD conformance
perspective, if CC0 actually makes a work not subject to copyright in
Norway, CC0 would have to be seen as an inadequate grant of permissions at
least for sound recordings in Norway.

As there are already suggestions of working on a OD 2.1 revision, it may be
worth more explicitly addressing how resiliently an open license must
achieve its intended purpose in the face of peculiar laws like the above.
I'd love to read about (but not encourage new ones ;)) other examples of
intended permissions being thwarted.

Mike