[od-discuss] OD Summay

Herb Lainchbury herb at dynamic-solutions.com
Mon Apr 20 20:58:47 UTC 2015

I have examined all four versions (including Aarons suggestion).  I think
the one on the home page is best, with the word "requirements" replaced by
"measures":

"Open means anyone can freely access, use, modify, and share for any
purpose (subject, at most, to measures that preserve provenance and
openness)."

This summary is just describing the adjective "open".  As a summary to me it
seems clean, and easy to use on it's own.  And, I think that's mostly how
it's used in conversation.

It can be applied to nouns such as knowledge, data and works in general...

Having the last part in parentheses implies that the rest of it could stand
on it's own - which it can grammatically, but I don't think it can as a
general assertion, so I would consider removing the brackets as well.

Is there any reason we *need* to refer to knowledge, data or content in the
summary?  Can we leave it to the definition to apply the word "open" and
just stick to defining "open" in the summary?

Herb Lainchbury, Dynamic Solutions
250.704.6154
http://www.dynamic-solutions.com