[od-discuss] Machine readability in v2.1

Benjamin Ooghe-Tabanou b.ooghe at gmail.com
Sun Aug 2 20:08:46 UTC 2015

Hello everyone, and thanks to Rufus, Aaron, Peter, Stephen and both
Andrews for your contributions. I feel like we're progressing here !
:)

Although I liked Rufus' proposal completed with Andrew's suggestion, I
think I prefer Aaron's latest version.

It really reduces the 1.3 to what it really concerns and the phrasing
of 1.4 seems stronger to me :
- as expressed by many, "machine readable" and "fully processed" were
still blurry and could be badly interpreted. With
"machine-processable" and "working with and/or modifying the
individual
data or content elements" i feel like this adresses most cases
- using MUST instead of SHOULD sounds necessary to me and was my issue
with Rufus' version. This version places a MUST whereas it restricts
it to specific works that are data, which feels stronger
- always in favor of referring to FLOS and open formats

I'm just not completely sure about the "although best " and "readily
available upon request" parts: if it exists in such form, i guess it
must be provided as such, so why not reverse it as something like
this:

1.4 Machine Processable Form Available
« When the **work** is fitted for working with and/or modifying its
individual data or content elements, it *must* at least be provided in
a "machine-processable" open format that permits such process. »

Best,
Benjamin

PS: Just missing the be in "work must BE provided" of Aaron's 1.3