[od-discuss] Machine readability in v2.1

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Tue Aug 4 18:12:52 UTC 2015

On 3 August 2015 at 00:16, Aaron Wolf <wolftune at riseup.net> wrote:

> On 08/02/2015 04:08 PM, Benjamin Ooghe-Tabanou wrote:
> > Hello everyone, and thanks to Rufus, Aaron, Peter, Stephen and both
> > Andrews for your contributions. I feel like we're progressing here !
> > :)
> >
> > Although I liked Rufus' proposal completed with Andrew's suggestion, I
> > think I prefer Aaron's latest version.
> >
> > It really reduces the 1.3 to what it really concerns and the phrasing
> > of 1.4 seems stronger to me :
> > - as expressed by many, "machine readable" and "fully processed" were
> > still blurry and could be badly interpreted. With
> > "machine-processable" and "working with and/or modifying the
> > individual
> > data or content elements" i feel like this adresses most cases
> > - using MUST instead of SHOULD sounds necessary to me and was my issue
> > with Rufus' version. This version places a MUST whereas it restricts
> > it to specific works that are data, which feels stronger
> > - always in favor of referring to FLOS and open formats
> >
> > I'm just not completely sure about the "although best " and "readily
> > available upon request" parts: if it exists in such form, i guess it
> > must be provided as such, so why not reverse it as something like
> > this:
> >
> > 1.4 Machine Processable Form Available
> > « When the **work** is fitted for working with and/or modifying its
> > individual data or content elements, it *must* at least be provided in
> > a "machine-processable" open format that permits such process. »
> >
> > Best,
> > Benjamin
> >
> > PS: Just missing the be in "work must BE provided" of Aaron's 1.3
> >

> The problems with the "must be provided as such" approach:
>
> If I make a music recording and put it online under CC-BY-SA, are we
> going to say it is "non-open" because I didn't directly *include* all
> the source files (different tracks and such) in the exact same download
> / web page with the final mix? Furthermore, say I *do* make the source
> files available, but someone else shares the song with their friends and
> doesn't include all the source files. Is their distribution "non-open"?

This is a subtle area. A distinction that is useful from the Database world
is useful here: the concept of "produced work". For example, a map tile
rendered from underlying geodata is a "produced work". Similarly, one would
say a "chart" or a "paper" are a produced work for some underlying data.

Right now, should we focus on the "openness" of the object itself, or, if
it is a produced work also require the openness of the underlying material.

Consider a chart: it is a produced work if rendered from data. I think the
purpose matters here: if the chart is provided *as* the data (and the raw
data is not provided) then it is not open. If the chart is produced as an
image for visual consumption then maybe it is.

For data I don't think this is such a big issue since its clear you have to
provide it in processable form. For content: music, pictures etc it may be
a little more blurry.

Overall I think it is reasonably clear.

Rufus

*Rufus PollockFounder and President | skype: rufuspollock | @rufuspollock