[od-discuss] OD Summay

Mike Linksvayer ml at gondwanaland.com
Mon Mar 2 05:56:03 UTC 2015

On 02/13/2015 07:57 AM, Herb Lainchbury wrote:
> In checking the text for the Ireland paper on licenses I realized we now
> have three similar but distinct summary statements.
>
> Two on the landing page:
>
> “Open means anyone can freely access, use, modify, and share for any
> purpose (subject, at most, to requirements that preserve provenance and
> openness).”
>
> “Open data and content can be freely used, modified, and shared by
> anyone for any purpose”
>
> and one on the definition page:
>
> "Knowledge is open if anyone is free to access, use, modify, and share
> it — subject, at most, to measures that preserve provenance and openness."
>

> Is there some good reason for this that I'm missing?
>
> My thinking is that we should have one unless there is some reason to
> have more than one.

Rufus added the third one at
https://github.com/okfn/opendefinition/commit/9e853212a5690f1724e0b2a59808e91b7112c691#diff-e701188abab5b493e5915f1270430909

I prefer only one on the home page and in the current OD version. We
should be so happy with the summary in 2.1 that we don't feel a need to
tweak for the home page.