[od-discuss] OD Summay

Aaron Wolf wolftune at riseup.net
Mon Mar 2 06:42:12 UTC 2015

I added a comment on the GitHub link.

https://github.com/okfn/opendefinition/commit/9e853212a5690f1724e0b2a59808e91b7112c691#commitcomment-9979665

I hadn't noticed that issue before with the double definition that tries for concision but actually only makes the wording longer, more confusing, and adds redundancy.

Note that even the variations shown are inconsistent in the term "measures" vs "requirements" — I definitely prefer "measures" as it is more general and, I think, more appropriate for this summary.

For reference, the *additional* new proposal I added on GitHub is:

*"Open" means unrestricted.* Specifically, anyone can freely access, use, modify, and share any open data, open content, and other forms of open knowledge (subject, at most, to measures that preserve provenance and openness).

I'm not sure it's best, but it offers elements for consideration. I dislike the specification of "open data" and "open content" without reference to open knowledge. I prefer either "open knowledge" be included (and I could skip having "open content" ever mentioned but won't insist) or not use an noun examples.

I **strongly** agree that there should be one functional summary statement used in all cases.

Best,
Aaron