[od-discuss] OD Summay

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Tue Sep 15 17:22:35 UTC 2015

On 14 September 2015 at 20:31, Herb Lainchbury <herb at dynamic-solutions.com>
wrote:

> " There is still currently an important distinction between 'data' and
> 'content' "
>
> I think this is a critical point.   When I think of open data or open
> knowledge - I do not think of songs or movies or any other creative works.
> I think of facts.  To me, the OD is a claim about when a collection of
> facts, or data, is considered open.

Whilst I think data is very important I think content has been too. The
Definition has *always* been about both content and data and I think we
should maintain that - this has been a very useful thread btw for
clarifying people's current understanding :-)

> I don't necessarily object to the definition being applied to songs or
> other creative works - but I don't see that as it's primary purpose - and
> this can be left more to other tools (CC for example) whose primary focus
> is creative works.

Woah ;-) This is a big one. CC most definitely does not provide this
service - i.e. providing a definition. CC does *not* provide a standard in
the way the definition does as evidenced by the fact that several CC
licenses are not open (and the licenses as group are not all mutually
compatible). CC licenses are fantastic and have been a huge benefit but
they do not provide a standard to underpin an open information commons. [1]

[1]:
http://blog.okfn.org/2012/10/04/making-a-real-commons-creative-commons-should-drop-the-non-commercial-and-no-derivatives-licenses/

> For this reason I would support putting the word "Data" back in to the
> summary.

One thought here would be for us to draft up in a doc or issue the actual
planned refactor of the front page text - i'm starting to struggle to track
the actual potential alternatives here :-)

I'm, unsurprisingly given my significant role in authoring it, quite happy
with the front page as it is.

> I am not 100% sure on this, but I would actually even consider replacing
> the word "Knowledge" with the word "Data", because to me "Knowledge"
> implies acquisition - which means there is an "acquirer" (a person doing
> the acquiring) - which may not be the case. The whole point to me is that
> "open" enables people to freely acquire facts (i.e. open knowledge), those
> facts are typically recorded and presented in collections as data, but the
> facts can be open whether or not anyone ends up utilizing that openness.
> The point is they are free to do so if the choose to but an "acquirer" is
> not required for openness.  If no one ends up using the open data, it's
> still open.

Analysis or mining of text in this case seems okay to me.  The fact that
> the word "daisy" occurs 42 times in the chapter of a book is a fact about
> the chapter - i.e. data... which can be made open regardless of whether or
> not the text of the book is open.  The fact 42 exists at a different level
> of abstraction and seems to me would not enjoy copyright protection.

This seems a different issue. The definition still provides a *definition*
of what open data or content *is* - whether a given piece of content or
data is open is a matter for that particular case.

Rufus