[odc-discuss] Links and text up for ODbL beta

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Thu Feb 26 11:35:52 UTC 2009

2009/2/26 Jordan S Hatcher <jordan at opencontentlawyer.com>:
[snip]
> Begin forwarded message:
>
>> Would you like me to do this? Also can I suggest we rename it to
>> something a bit more descriptive -- it's not entirely clear to someone
>> new what the difference is between an 'Open Database License' and a
>> 'Factual Info License' :)
>>
>> What about:
>>
>>  * ODC Open Database License (Attribution Share-Alike) -- current ODbL
>>  * ODC Open Database License (Attribution) -- current Factual Info
>>
>> Or if we don't want to change the ODbL name could just rename factual info
>> to:
>>
>>  * ODC Attribution
>
> The FIL doesn't do any attribution, so not sure why we would call it that?

Quite right -- should have read more carefully just now :) So to
confirm my understanding:

  * This is a waiver of any rights but is for 'factual info' (i.e.
data when not collected into a 'DB').
  * It therefore differs from ODbL in having no share-alike provision
  * It differs from the PDDL in applying only to factual info (?)

Given the similarity to the PDDL why use this rather than the PDDL
(when the PDDL covers both factual info and the database -- or am I
wrong here?)

Rufus