[odc-discuss] Fwd: ITO World legal review of ODbL license 0.9

Jordan S Hatcher jordan at opencontentlawyer.com
Sat Mar 14 12:07:26 UTC 2009

Peter Miller, a OSMer has kindly posted an analysis done by a lawyer
to the OSM wiki.

<http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/ITO_World/ODbL_Licence_0.9_legal_review_for_ITO

I disagree with several of the points of the analysis, but will
respond more fully point-by-point later. Also, some of the points
apply to OSM's implementation specifically, which I won't address
(because I don't represent them in a professional capacity).

See below:

Begin forwarded message:

> From: Peter Miller
> Date: 13 March 2009 15:01:09 GMT
> To: secretary at osmfoundation.org, Jordan S Hatcher <jordan at opencontentlawyer.com
> >
> Subject: Fwd: ITO World legal review of ODbL license 0.9
>

> I am forwarding you a copy of the email I sent to legal-talk with
> the initial review our lawyer made of the ODbL license.
>
> Her general feeling was that it could be made to work but that there
> was still quite a lot of work to do. She refrained from proposing
> actual wording changes at this point, feeling that it was more
> helpful to comment on more general issues on the first pass. I would
> expect that on the next revision she would provide more specific
> advice and would respond to the Use Cases.
>
> To some degree the amount of work that ITO invests in this process
> will depend on the sort of reception our input gets from ODC and OSMF.
>
> Andy: can you forward this to the appropriate people within the OSMF.
>

> Thanks,
>

> Peter
>

> Begin forwarded message:
>
>> From: Peter Miller <petermiller63 at googlemail.com>
>> Date: 12 March 2009 23:12:17 GMT
>> To: "Licensing and other legal discussions." <legal-talk at openstreetmap.org
>> >
>> Subject: ITO World legal review of ODbL license 0.9
>>

>> I have put the legal review we have received for the current
>> license draft on the wiki. I have organised it so that we can
>> comment and discuss the issues after each of the points on the wiki
>> page if appropriate. I can't say that have understood all the
>> points raised yet and their possible implications, but I thought it
>> would be good to start getting more brains on it straight away.
>>
>> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/ITO_World/ODbL_Licence_0.9_legal_review_for_ITO
>>
>> Can I suggest that we spend tomorrow and the weekend discussing it
>> and then I can seek clarification on any key points on Monday from
>> our lawyer and we can then put the key points to the OKM and to our
>> own foundation lawyers.
>>

>> Regards,
>>

>> Peter

____