[odc-discuss] ODbL license contract between Licensor and You

Jordan S Hatcher jordan at opencontentlawyer.com
Thu Mar 12 16:42:03 UTC 2009

Hi Mike,

You've asked a rather detailed question in terms of what the law is on
"clickwrap" and "browsewrap" agreements that not only brings in issues
around, for example, terms of use on websites and their
enforceability, but also around the contract/license distinction and
even on the nature of the viral/copyleft/share-alike and open/free
licences themselves.

A detailed answer to these questions would also be very jurisdiction
and context specific, as there are differing approaches to the issue
(civil versus common law; b2b versus b2c; and so on). As I'm sure you
understand, I can't give that level of detail.

If you are looking at the United States specifically and want a bit of
background, teaching this subject generally start with ProCD v.
Zeidenberg, 86 F.3d 1447 (7th Cir. 1996) and its progeny. Generally
the United States leans much more towards a contract being formed in
these situations (but note also that this isn't a license for use
solely in the US).

If, as I suspect, this question is being asked in an effort to know
how to implement the ODbL so as to strengthen the contract argument,
then the answer is that any method that makes it clearer that "X has
agreed to Y" strengthens the claim.  Examples would be clicking
agreement for each submission, agreeing before access to an API, etc
-- essentially a lot of the things that commercial companies do to
protect their data/database/works/software what have you.

Instead of IANAL, this is IAALBIANYL

~Jordan