[odc-discuss] ODbL: Does publishing Produced Work from Derivative Database trigger Derivative Database ShareAlike?

Matt Amos zerebubuth at gmail.com
Wed Mar 4 22:48:50 UTC 2009

On Wed, Mar 4, 2009 at 10:25 PM, Jonathan Rochkind <rochkind at jhu.edu> wrote:
> Matt Amos wrote:
>>
> You said that the database was constantly changing. You are adding value
> with your new content.

no, there is no new content. all the content comes from the
openstreetmap database and no new data is added. i use publicly
available data feeds to produce my database and all the source code is
public.

> So the question for the licensing community is if they _intended_ to force
> you to share this new content or not.  I'm not clear on this?

i think the community wants new content shared. but, my use case
involves no new content. i hope the community agrees with me that
publishing the Derived Database is an unnecessary burden.

> Are you not wanting to share this data because you don't think you should
> have to, or just becuase it's inconvenient?

both. as frederik said, its an onerous process which requires a lot of
hardware and bandwidth. it is also pointless, as i have provided
source code and instructions as to how to replicate my Derived
Database.

> If you don't think you should
> have to, and the licensing community didn't intend you to have to....   then
> I agree it's a problem to find a workable way to comply with the license.
>
> If you don't think you should have, but the license community intended you
> to have to (and it's really enforceable in court), then, I guess the
> licensing community doesn't want you to use their data unless you agree to
> share the new stuff.

i think the license doesn't exactly represent the intentions of the
community. it doesn't represent mine ;-)

> I agree that a realtime dump is unreasonable, and I suspect that the
> licensing community did not intend to require it.

i agree, which is why i'm taking part in the license discussion /
clarification process :-)

cheers,

matt