[odc-discuss] ODbL: Does publishing Produced Work from Derivative Database trigger Derivative Database ShareAlike?

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Wed Mar 4 22:25:22 UTC 2009

Hi,

Jonathan Rochkind wrote:
> Hmm, what's impractical about providing an entire database dump on say a
> nightly basis?

For OpenStreetMap even today the creation of such a dump will probably
take a few hours. It could be done on a daily basis and this might, as
you say, be ok with the "spirit" of the license but we were hoping to
also be ok with the "letter" ;-)

If we go one step back for a moment and drop the "changing data" idea,
and think of someone *not* adding data to the database but just
importing the widely distributed "planet file" into his internal
database format, then we should also take into consideration that the
guy might be on cheap hardware in an area with patchy internet access
(think developing country) where he *just about* manages to import the
data unchanged; we would not really want him to have to make the full
dump available to anyone, and it wouldn't be of much use to anyone
because the data can be readily downloaded elsewhere.  (This problem is
solved by either Richard's "just provide the algorithm" or my "don't
provide anything unless data added" suggestions but can not be solved by
allowing him to scale down to handing out weekly dumps.)

Bye
Frederik