[odc-discuss] ODbL: Does publishing Produced Work from Derivative Database trigger Derivative Database ShareAlike?

Simon Ward simon at bleah.co.uk
Wed Mar 4 23:11:49 UTC 2009

On Wed, Mar 04, 2009 at 05:10:23PM -0500, Jonathan Rochkind wrote:
> Now, if you had _other_ data in the db which you did not believe that
> you needed to share (or worse yet, that you licensed from someone else
> under conditions that did not ALLOW you to share it), that would become
> _much_ more unworkable.  And I'd have no good solution then. I'm not
> sure if the intent of this license is in fact to prevent people from
> combining open street map data in a database which ALSO includes
> commercial licensed non-open data?

4.4c states that you should not add incompatible data to derivative
databases.

The databases would then have to be independent, but may form parts of a
collective database, which isn’t required to be licensed under the ODbL
(section 4.5a).

So, some combinations of non‐open data and OpenStreetMap data are
prevented.

Simon Ward
simple system that works.—John Gall