[odc-discuss] ODbL: Does publishing Produced Work from Derivative Database trigger Derivative Database ShareAlike?

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Wed Mar 4 23:45:43 UTC 2009

Hi,

Richard Fairhurst wrote:
> My submission (and that of a few others) to the co-ment page is that
> osm2pgsql, or indeed any other open source program on a widely used
> platform, should be acceptable as a diff - i.e. "the program that
> makes the [algorithmic] change". This solves the problem that
> distributing a 5Gb PostGIS dump on demand is prohibitively expensive.

I've tried to go a bit beyond what co-ment offers and started a page on
the OpenStreetMap Wiki:

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Open_Data_License/Suggested_Changes

On that page I've tried to not only list our ideas but also (native
speaker of neither Legalese nor English that I am!) find possible
wordings for them and identify where and how they could be inserted into
ODbL. This will certainly require some work if it is to be anywhere near
useful to Jordan for his review but maybe some of you can chip in.

Bye
Frederik