[odc-discuss] ODbL: Does publishing Produced Work from Derivative Database trigger Derivative Database ShareAlike?

Matt Amos zerebubuth at gmail.com
Thu Mar 5 00:27:06 UTC 2009

On Wed, Mar 4, 2009 at 11:45 PM, Frederik Ramm <frederik at remote.org> wrote:
> I've tried to go a bit beyond what co-ment offers and started a page on the
> OpenStreetMap Wiki:
>
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Open_Data_License/Suggested_Changes
>
> On that page I've tried to not only list our ideas but also (native speaker
> of neither Legalese nor English that I am!) find possible wordings for them
> and identify where and how they could be inserted into ODbL. This will
> certainly require some work if it is to be anywhere near useful to Jordan
> for his review but maybe some of you can chip in.

good idea! more bi-directional communication with the those fluent in
Legalese can only help :-)

i've added a wording suggestion to my favourite solution to the
postgis dump problem. we need to get to the heart of what kind of
derivatives we feel are worth protecting, so we can isolate them from
other, inconsequential derivatives.

also, richard weait has put up a straw poll, which could be really
useful for judging the zeitgeist. please go vote:
http://weait.com/content/when-should-derived-database-share-alike-be-required

cheers,

matt