[odc-discuss] Fwd: ITO World legal review of ODbL license 0.9

Peter Miller peter.miller at itoworld.com
Sat Mar 14 16:54:50 UTC 2009

2009/3/14 Frederik Ramm <frederik at remote.org>

> Jordan,
>
> Jordan S Hatcher wrote:
> > I disagree with several of the points of the analysis, but will
> > respond more fully point-by-point later. Also, some of the points
> > apply to OSM's implementation specifically, which I won't address
> > (because I don't represent them in a professional capacity).
>
> For me, as a concerned OSM project member, this "I am a lawyer but I am
> not your lawyer" business is very disturbing.
>
> I am perfectly clear that there are professional reasons for this, but
> let me just tell you how this looks from the ordinary OSM project
> member's view.

snip

> So, again, I perfectly understand that professionally you cannot be
> bothered to "sell" the ODbL to OSM. But currently I perceive a very high
> risk of ODbL to be rejected by the OSM community for the very reason
> that there is nobody willing to engage in a serious debate.
>
> It would be sad to have to say: "ODbL would have been a good choice for
> OSM but nobody managed to explain it to them."

Firstly, thank you Jordan for forwarding my email to the group.

Frederik: I think you are being a little harsh. I agree we have not got the
level of explanation from within the OSM project about the license as we had
hoped for however we are now promised a response to the Use Cases and Open
Issues from the OSMF lawyer so things might be improving. It will certainly
be interesting to compare the advice from the OSMF lawyer and the ITO
lawyer.

Jordan can't be expected to sort out all our internal issues as well as
getting a workable license together however I do hope that the Use Cases
page and Open Issues page together with the ITO feedback will help
strengthen the license.

I am aware that we might possibly not get there with v1.0 and that we may
need a version v1.1 before we can go with it.  I am of course speaking as a
'regular' OSM community member and 'regular' OSM Foundation member, rather
than as a foundation director but still there seems to be a lot to sort out
in one revision.

Any input that Jordan or others can provide on these particular issues would
be most appreciated.
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Open_Data_License/Open_Issues
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Open_Data_Licence/Use_Cases

Regards,