[odc-discuss] Fwd: ITO World legal review of ODbL license 0.9

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Fri Mar 20 18:26:37 UTC 2009

2009/3/14 Peter Miller <peter.miller at itoworld.com>:
> 2009/3/14 Frederik Ramm <frederik at remote.org>

[snip]

>> It would be sad to have to say: "ODbL would have been a good choice for
>> OSM but nobody managed to explain it to them."
>
> Firstly, thank you Jordan for forwarding my email to the group.
>
> Frederik: I think you are being a little harsh. I agree we have not got the
> level of explanation from within the OSM project about the license as we had
> hoped for however we are now promised a response to the Use Cases and Open
> Issues from the OSMF lawyer so things might be improving. It will certainly
> be interesting to compare the advice from the OSMF lawyer and the ITO
> lawyer.

That material will be exceedingly useful. I should emphasize that
almost all the feedback we have received so far has been useful, and
will, I believe help strengthen the license.

> Jordan can't be expected to sort out all our internal issues as well as
> getting a workable license together however I do hope that the Use Cases
> page and Open Issues page together with the ITO feedback will help
> strengthen the license.

These will much appreciated and I think help clarify many of the
questions being asked.

> I am aware that we might possibly not get there with v1.0 and that we may
> need a version v1.1 before we can go with it.  I am of course speaking as a
> 'regular' OSM community member and 'regular' OSM Foundation member, rather
> than as a foundation director but still there seems to be a lot to sort out
> in one revision.

Absolutely. This also applies to the comments period. We may need to
have a second round based on a "beta 2".

> Any input that Jordan or others can provide on these particular issues would
> be most appreciated.
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Open_Data_License/Open_Issues
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Open_Data_Licence/Use_Cases

I chatted with Jordan yesterday at length and we will be going through
these (to the best of our abilities -- that use case is rather long!).

Rufus