[odc-discuss] About the responses on co-ment

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Fri Mar 27 18:16:44 UTC 2009

Jean-Christophe,

    just a quick word from the OpenStreetMap perspective:

> Finally there's my question about individual attribution. I feared that the
> individual names of contributors can be removed, because it is only asked
> to cite the original database.

I very much hope that the individual names of contributors can be
removed! OpenStreetMap has more than 100,000 contributors and it would
be impractical in most media to list them. In fact, OpenStreetMap often
doesn't even know who they are (only a "screen name"), and many of them
have even said they don't want their screen names publicized.

This is a big problem we have with the CC-BY-SA license that
OpenStreetMap employs today; it theoretically requires that wherever
possible you list all contributors. This may be practical for a database
created by 10 or 20 people, but not one created by 100,000.

Bye
Frederik