[odc-discuss] First Pass on ODbL Comments

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Tue Mar 31 15:10:31 UTC 2009

Hi,

Rufus Pollock wrote:
> Open code and open content both permit share-alike -- with
obvious benefits for specific communities

Replace "obvious" with "perceived" and I will agree. I do not think
there is something approaching evidence or even proof that share-alike
represents a "benefit" compared to non-share-alike options. It is an
opinion held by many (thus "perceived"), but the benefits are all in the
realm of the hypothetical ("if we had no share-alike license then evil
things would certainly happen, thus it is good that we have a
share-alike license").

If you claim that share-alike has "obvious benefits" for specific
communities, then I will find you communities where not using
share-alike has equally "obvious benefits" and the argument evaporates.

Bye
Frederik