[odc-discuss] First Pass on ODbL Comments

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Tue Mar 31 17:50:16 UTC 2009

2009/3/31 Matt Amos <zerebubuth at gmail.com>:
> On Tue, Mar 31, 2009 at 3:51 PM, Rufus Pollock <rufus.pollock at okfn.org> wrote:
>> To reiterate comments in that blog post (and elsewhere): the only
>> person at all affected by 'uncertainty' is the licensor. The licensee
>> (the user) can get perfect certainty by just complying with the
>> license.
>
> only if the licensee understands the license fully, or has access to
> legal counsel who understand it fully. i'm sorry to say i have patches
> of great uncertainty about my obligations under the ODbL.

I was responding here to comments about uncertainty regarding
existence of the rights in the data (which was the primary point
raised in the SC comments). The point was that uncertainty there does
not create uncertainty for the licensee if they comply with the
license.

Uncertainty regarding what compliance with the license is a separate
(but extremely important) issue.

Rufus