[odc-discuss] ODbL RC1 and the reverse engineering clause (RFC)

Matt Amos zerebubuth at gmail.com
Mon May 18 19:34:22 UTC 2009

On Mon, May 18, 2009 at 8:01 PM, Ulf Möller <usenet at ulfm.de> wrote:
>  From a practical point of view it would be much better to proactively
> make sure that maps from OSM data can by CC-BY-SA, GPL etc. licensed
> without any additional restrictions.

maybe the best way to do this is to drop the reverse engineering
clause altogether?

from my (very basic) understanding of IP rights in the original
database, it would seem possible to protect the database without the
need for an explicit reverse engineering clause. prominent community
guidelines and the notice in the produced work (again, as i understand
it) would influence the interpretation of what is acceptable.

cheers,

matt