[odc-discuss] input/output Licensing

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Fri Nov 6 17:47:15 UTC 2009

2009/11/6 Marco Milanesi <marco.milanesi at eucentre.it>:

>> As I understood Marco, it is not *his* data - he has written a program
>> and now he wants to make sure that if a third party uses his program,
>> this causes the third party to have to license *their* data in a certain
>> way.
>
> exactly Frederik, we are speculating on this option from a 'cover all
> licensing point of view' for ALL the people that use the software
>
> (personally I also am not so inclined to tie the user so much to give
> back so hard to the community)

Yes, I'd agree with Frederik here too: you want to be careful about
getting too controlling with your free/open licenses :)

> anyway, another question is: if our data is covered by odbl + dbcl and
> the data is *our*, can we license in a copylefted way also the output?

If your data(base) is copylefted *and* the output were deemed a
derivative data(base) then you would be copylefting the output.
However the questions here is how the output related to your ODbL'd
data.

> thanks a lot guys for the comments, we appreciate *a lot*

No problem and glad to help.

Rufus