[odc-discuss] ODbL -> BY-SA -> ?

Rob Myers rob at robmyers.org
Wed Aug 4 10:59:10 UTC 2010

(Newbie question 2 :-) .)

Imagine that I have an ODbL/DbCL database (from OpenStreetMap for
example ;-) ) and I make a BY-SA produced work, then someone creates a
database of information extracted somehow from the produced work.

ODbL/DbCL database -> BY-SA produced work -> ? database

I assume that copying the *content* of the database from the produced
work does not create a derived database. If the extracted database needs
to be licenced BY-SA, there is no clash with the ODbL

I assume that if someone copies the original DB *structure* to place the
magically extracted data into then they have made a derivative database
because of that copying. This needs to be licenced ODbL, which may clash
if it also needs to be licenced BY-SA. Or would it only be the
*contents* that needs to be licenced BY-SA?

Basically: can a database (re-)created from a BY-SA produced work ever
be both a derivative database and a BY-SA derivative? If so, wouldn't
this be a licence clash? If not, does this qualify as a "hole" in the ODbL?

Thanks.

- Rob.