[odc-discuss] ODbL -> BY-SA -> ?

Jordan S Hatcher jordan at opencontentlawyer.com
Thu Aug 19 10:13:00 UTC 2010

Hi Rob

No worries.  I've been away as well so a bit slow to respond.

4.4b in the ODbL (the Share Alike section) helps address your questions:

"For the avoidance of doubt, Extraction or Re-utilisation of the whole or a Substantial part of the Contents into a new database is a Derivative Database and must comply with Section 4.4."

Systematically extracting data out of Produced Works to recreate the whole database, or a substantial part of it, would trigger the Share Alike obligation.  Small bits wouldn't (as they'd be "insubstantial")

I see the data layer as being potentially different from the rest of what is being licensed CC-BY-SA in a "produced work" (which I explained in my earlier email).

Users of CC-BY-SA licensed material using a "produced work" from an ODbL database would be aware of the ODbL data layer because of the notice provision in 4.3.

HTH

Thanks!

~Jordan