No subject

Sun Dec 12 18:29:16 GMT 2010

1. A lot of thought (much from OSM) went into drafting the ODbL.
Data(base)s are different from content (just as content was different
from code) and they need specific thought (if anything 'content' is
closer to code than data is to content yet CC created a set of
licenses even though the GPL, MIT/BSD etc all already existed).

Even if CC do address data in their upgrade they are going to need to
have stuff in there looks pretty like the ODbL.

2. The contract issue argument about ODbL being bad ('ODbL introduces
contract) is, in my opinion, a) bogus b) a red-herring. CC licenses
are contracts too, right ... [1]

3. The ODbL already supports the concept of compatible licenses. If CC
licenses do reach the point that they support data then this should
provide a way to interope (or even migrate) to that license if a
particular organization so wishes.

Regards,

Rufus

[1]: See statement by then CC counsel Mia Garlick:

<http://lists.ibiblio.org/pipermail/cc-licenses/2006-April/003504.html>

<quote>
just to answer the question as to what CC thinks - whether it's
licenses are only a license, not a contract; in my view, the CC
licenses are contracts.
</quote>

See also http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_license

 "A software license (or software licence in commonwealth usage) is a
legal instrument (by way of contract law) governing the usage or
redistribution of software." [1]

Co-Founder, Open Knowledge Foundation