[odc-discuss] version 1.1 of OdBL?

Jo Walsh jo.walsh at ed.ac.uk
Fri Jul 16 11:16:51 UTC 2010

Jordan, thanks for all this.

I'll accept your advice on asking for a review of optionn including PDDL
and CC0 as well as ODbL.

ODbL has some appeal in cases where a researcher is reluctant to publish
data at all, where they may be some existing commercial licensing, and
there may be uncertainty as to the rights of the researcher to publish
the data that came from "grey" sources.

On the latter point there is little I can do. On the former point,
researcher concern is "anyone can take my work, build on it, i won't get
the credit and may lose the opportunity to be funded to further develop
the work".

Citation is key here and perhaps it's warped to think that ShareAlike
strengthens the cause of citation but that's how it seems to me.

i would write more but am jetlagged and overworked, how do you react to
this, i'm glad of your time.

--
Jo Walsh

Unlock places - http://unlock.edina.ac.uk/
phone: +44 (0)131 650 2973
skype: metazool

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.