[odc-discuss] version 1.1 of OdBL?

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Fri Jul 16 18:28:38 UTC 2010

On 16 July 2010 12:16, Jo Walsh <jo.walsh at ed.ac.uk> wrote:
> Jordan, thanks for all this.
>
> I'll accept your advice on asking for a review of optionn including PDDL and
> CC0 as well as ODbL.

You'll probably also want to include the Attribution option:
<http://www.opendatacommons.org/licenses/by/>

> ODbL has some appeal in cases where a researcher is reluctant to publish
> data at all, where they may be some existing commercial licensing, and there
> may be uncertainty as to the rights of the researcher to publish the data
> that came from "grey" sources.

Absolutely. I think the "share-alike" option can be very important for
people who would otherwise *not make available at all* (or under an
even more restrictive license).

> On the latter point there is little I can do. On the former point,
> researcher concern is "anyone can take my work, build on it, i won't get the
> credit and may lose the opportunity to be funded to further develop the
> work".

I think here we want to distinguish between attribution requirements
(provided by both ODC By and ODC ODbL/BySA) and share-alike provided
by ODC ODbL/BySA.

> Citation is key here and perhaps it's warped to think that ShareAlike
> strengthens the cause of citation but that's how it seems to me.

Not sure here. I guess there might be a feeling that more derivative
material (and maybe produced works) end up in the open.

Rufus

Open Knowledge Foundation