[odc-discuss] Open Government Licence interoperable with ODC - Attribution

Francis Davey fjmd1a at gmail.com
Wed Oct 6 19:44:28 UTC 2010

On 6 October 2010 20:15, MJ Ray <mjr at phonecoop.coop> wrote:

> I'm not sure about whether a foreigner actually breaches the DPA by
> doing something abroad with foreign-made OGL'd data that would breach
> the Data Protection Act if done here.  Do our laws apply if no-one has
> a connection with our country?

The short answer is that the DPA applies only to data controllers who
are either:

(1) established in the UK; or
(2) use equipment in the UK for processing data (but not where that is
merely for transmitting the data through the UK)

Of course lots of other countries have data protection legislation,
and, in particular, every EU country has some implementation of the
directive on which the DPA is based, so you'd be in trouble elsewhere
but under different laws.

--
Francis Davey