[odc-discuss] Ordnance Survey Data In Produced Works

Rob Myers rob at robmyers.org
Fri Sep 17 10:50:23 UTC 2010

Heya.

The Ordnance Survey (OS) makes their data available under a licence that
they explicitly state is CC-BY compatible:

http://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/oswebsite/opendata/licence/docs/licence.pdf

(At:
http://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/oswebsite/opendata/licence/ )

Let us assume that this licence gives us sufficient rights to
incorporate the data into a DbCL/ODbL database as long as attribution is
maintained.

The OS licence states that you must:

"acknowledge the copyright and the source of the Data by including any
attribution statement specified by the Data Provider."

Let us assume that ODbL section 4.3 satisfies this requirement.

The OS licence also states that you must:

"include the same acknowledgment requirement in any sub-licences of the
Data that you grant, and a requirement that any further sub-licences do
the same;"

It is the second half of that requirement that I am curious about. Does
the ODbL ensure that its notice from section 4.3 is maintained on
every derivative/adaptation of every Produced Work? If so, what in the
ODbL ensures this? If not, would that mean that OS data cannot be
incorporated into a DbCL/ODbL licenced database as the condition of
their inclusion could be violated by a user of a Produced Work? Or if
this is not a problem, what have I misunderstood? :-)

Thanks.

- Rob.