[odc-discuss] NonCommercial ODbL?

Rob Myers rob at robmyers.org
Fri Apr 15 22:11:15 UTC 2011

On 15/04/11 21:26, Andrew Maven wrote:
> Is there such a thing as "Attribution, NonCommercial, ShareAlike,
> Unported, ODbL" ?

Fortunately, no. ;-)

> I'm looking for something that is
> OPEN for "Attribution and Share-Alike for Data/Databases"
> AND
> PAID LICENSE for Commercial use

It's possible to use Free/Open work commercially. And it's not possible
to produce something that is Free/Open but that does not allow
individuals to use in commercial contexts.

Could you not dual-licence the work ODbL and commercial, selling
non-ODbL licences to the data for people who do not wish to be bound by
the ODbL? There are precedents for this sort of thing in the software
and culture worlds.

> Also, if this does not yet exist, where is a good source for getting
> this dual DB license written?

Creative Commons will be clarifying their stance on data for the 4.0
revision of their licences. This will include BY-NC-SA, although it will
not function the same as the ODBL does. And this may not be for a while.

Failing that, as Francis says, there will be people who can draft such a
licence. I'd be interested to know the use case.

- Rob.