[odc-discuss] NonCommercial ODbL?

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Mon Apr 18 12:09:39 UTC 2011

Hi Andrew and welcome!

On 15 April 2011 21:26, Andrew Maven <amaven at andrewmaven.com> wrote:
> Is there such a thing as "Attribution, NonCommercial, ShareAlike, Unported,
> ODbL" ?
>
> I'm looking for something that is
> OPEN for "Attribution and Share-Alike for Data/Databases"
> AND
> PAID LICENSE for Commercial use

i.e. a 'non-commercial' style license. This has been raised before and
the current position is that Open Data Commons explicitly will not
create this kind of license, see this previous thread:

<http://lists.okfn.org/pipermail/odc-discuss/2009-November/000209.html>

The basic point is Open Data Commons is about creating 'open' (see
http://opendefinition.org/) licenses that support a commons.
Non-commercial restrictions tend to break the commons ...

> Also, if this does not yet exist, where is a good source for getting this
> dual DB license written?

As Francis said writing your own is probably not a great idea. I'm
also not sure that you want a "dual" license here (you probably want 2
separate licenses).

Rufus