[odc-discuss] odbl, database schemas and stored procedures

Francis Davey fjmd1a at gmail.com
Wed Apr 20 14:36:25 UTC 2011

On 20 April 2011 15:30, Marco Milanesi <marco.milanesi at eucentre.it> wrote:

> hi all!
>
> are stored procedures inside a db covered by odbl or we have to use
> some other license? because stored procedures can be considered a "sql
> program".

I doubt very much that they are. ODBL's definition is:

“Database” – A collection of material (the Contents) arranged in a
systematic or methodical way and individually accessible by electronic or
other means offered under the terms of this License.

And stored procedures aren't (unless you have a collection of them of course
- which is a completely different question).

I doubt they fall within the database right either, which excludes computer
programs "used in the making or operation of a database".

> For instance, imagine a schema and specific logic (stored procedure
> *FUNCTION*) added to the schema (in a separate file).
>
> i.e. to simplify things:
>
>        schema.sql
>        functions.sql
>
> How should I treat this piece of "sql code" (functions.sql)?

As a computer program.

> Is it different if functions.sql it very tight to the db or if I have a
> generic "procedure" inside functions.sql?
>
> These are my doubts :)

I don't think the degree of proximity matters. They seem straightforward
computer programs to me.

--
Francis Davey