[odc-discuss] Advice on Open Licensing

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Tue Jul 12 15:21:35 UTC 2011

On 5 July 2011 11:21, James Fairfax <james at human-scale.net> wrote:

> James Fairfax to info
> show details Jul 1 (4 days ago)
> Hi there,
>
> Was hoping for your advice. I was wondering whether we should be considering an open data license for a project we have, IHP+Results. We have a set of online scorecards where it is possible to see a range of disaggregated data/results from hovering over ratings on the scorecards - see www.ihpresults.net and click through to the various scorecards for more info. As you will see, we already have a Creative Commons license for the actual scorecards product, but I am wondering if we should have a open data license too? The data and results detailed on the scorecards was all self-reported by participating development partners and country governments.

For the data you will want an open data license -- I'd also recommend
making that dataset available for bulk download (if it is not
already).

Note that by open I assume you mean as in the Open Definition
http://opendefinition.org/ which would preclude restrictions on
commercial use etc. You can see a list of conformant open data
licenses here:

<http://www.opendefinition.org/licenses/#Data>

Regards,

Rufus