[odc-discuss] Interview with Open Street Map's Steve Coast about relicensing and ODbL

Mike Linksvayer ml at creativecommons.org
Wed Jun 22 19:38:39 UTC 2011

On Wed, Jun 22, 2011 at 11:02 AM, Rob Myers <rob at robmyers.org> wrote:

> On 22/06/11 13:58, Mike Linksvayer wrote:
>
>> I'm not sure which distinction you're drawing between share alike and
>> copyleft and would be curious to know why you think contract makes
>> more sense for former.
>>

> It enforces sharing at the cost of going further than just neutralizing
> general restrictions on use. I think.

I agree those are important classes, but don't think share alike and
copyleft are useful names for them, not least because the license most
associated with share alike (CC BY-SA) is roughly neutralizing only and
license most associated with copyleft enforces sharing (of source). I can
see contract perhaps being possibly more aligned in spirit with enforcing,
but mostly as orthogonal.

On Wed, Jun 22, 2011 at 11:41 AM, Mike Dupont <
jamesmikedupont at googlemail.com> wrote:

> To be honest I am very skeptical about this contract issue in total. I wish
> that it would be tested on some smaller case than forced upon me, hence my
> allergic reaction.

Lots of people are skeptical, including me -- both whether it is good
policy* and whether it effectively adds anything on top of licensing. I
think both have been debated plenty as general concepts, we'll see how it
works out.

I do have one ODbL specific thing about contract that I haven't seen
discussed -- it isn't clear to me how 2.2(c) interacts with with 6.1 when
the licrensor/offerer has no copy- or database rights (ie when contract
would be final defense).

Mike

* which means various things; I have a theory that at least a little bit of
the conflict in discussion of public licenses -- not this discussion in
particular, but all of the usual
free/open/permissive/copyleft/NC/access-only [which I just now realized is
OA reversed!] etc permathreads comes from people talking past each other
about/from perspective of ideal policy for
individuals/projects/stewards/lawmakers/other and started putting hints of
this in some of my talks starting in
http://www.slideshare.net/mlinksva/evalfreedomstackpushculture-the-creative-commons-solution(slide
16)

--