[odc-discuss] Attribution of osm data

Mike Dupont jamesmikedupont at googlemail.com
Wed Sep 26 09:09:39 UTC 2012

Also, I would like to point out that even if they claim that it is all
PD facts, the work that I have done in germany is protected under the
Directive 96/9/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council of 11
March 1996 on the legal protection of databases. So that means they
cannot just lift it under some "fact" aspect.

On Wed, Sep 26, 2012 at 11:04 AM, MJ Ray <mjr at phonecoop.coop> wrote:
> Richard Fairhurst <richard at systemeD.net>
>> Mike Dupont wrote:
>> > it is not clear if they used the new or the old database under which
>> > license, dont they have to site under which license they have the data?
>>
>> I understand that the data used by Apple dates from the period when OSM
>> used CC-BY-SA. As such the database does not have to be made available.
>
> Leaving aside whether the database has to be made available, even
> CC-BY-SA requires distributors of derived work to state the licence,
> doesn't it?

I would agree there. they need to start the terms under which they
license it. And the cc requires :

Each time You distribute or publicly digitally perform the Work or a
Collective Work, the Licensor offers to the recipient a license to the
Work on the same terms and conditions as the license granted to You
under this License.
Each time You distribute or publicly digitally perform a Derivative
Work, Licensor offers to the recipient a license to the original Work
on the same terms and conditions as the license granted to You under
this License.

I dont see these as being done.