[odc-discuss] Precluding re-identification?

Andrew Rens andrewrens at gmail.com
Fri Nov 3 20:41:55 UTC 2017

Hi Howard

It seems as if the Linux Foundation has also recently considered this
issue. They just released two new data licenses as part of a bigger data
ecosystem (see https://cdla.io/)

Members of the list may be inclined to critique these new licenses as
unnecessary given the existing data licenses such as those at
https://opendatacommons.org/licenses/ and CC 0. I am simply drawing
attention to this new development, not advocating for it, rather I would
like to see some discussion.

One difference is that "Each Data Provider represents that the Data
Provider has exercised reasonable care, to assure that: (a) the Data it
Publishes was created or generated by it or was obtained from others with
the right to Publish the Data under this Agreement; and (b) Publication of
such Data does not violate any privacy or confidentiality obligation
undertaken by the Data Provider."

According to the context document https://cdla.io/context/ it seems that
the Linux Foundation imagines those licenses as inbound licenses and that
there may in future be outbound licenses that attempt to preserve privacy
or prevent de-identification. As an alternative it suggests a database with
technical restrictions that allow only some kinds of research.

Open humans is also grappling with these issues (https://www.openhumans.org/)
I don't know if they have found solutions that you would find compelling.

Andrew

Andrew Rens